Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Aren't you Supposed to be Writing?


Sharon Wildwind

Of course I’m supposed to be writing. I’ve got only chapters left to write before my next book is finished, but I’ve been waylaid by what was once called the dog days of summer. Too hot to do anything. Too much on the horizon with school starting and Labor Day only a few days away .

I want to play, not write, and when I'm in this mood I am very easily distracted. I intended to write today, honestly I did, but purple beans got in the way.

I’m so disappointed when gorgeous purple beans turn green while cooking. I went looking for suggestions on how to keep them purple.

Alas, the world doesn’t work that way. The purple color comes from a plant coloring agent called anthocyans. If the soil feeds the beans "juice" (for lack of a better word) about half way between a neutral pH and a very acid pH, the beans turn purple. Go to really, really acid and they turn red.

When heat is applied, anthocyans are deactivated, allowing the green chlorophyll, which was there all along, to show. So the beans go into the pot purple and come out green. So sad. We need more purple food.

I went from being distracted by purple beans to being distracted by asking Could I make a movie in my own kitchen? Yes, I can, but it takes an incredible amount of time. It’s amazing how wonderfully distracted I can be on a hot August day.


Next week I promise I'll be back in the grove, writing those final three chapters.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

Loved the video, Sharon. The best part was hearing your voice, which I've never heard before in seven years of blogging together. You have a beautiful voice that's not at all the way I imagined it. And "back in the grove" next week? What a felicitous typo! ;)

Sheila Connolly said...

I believe that brain activity is inversely proportional to atmospheric temperature. When it's hot outside, I can't think or move. That's why I love Fall.

Let's hear it for more purple food! I joke with the vendors at my local farmers market because I'm always drawn to the veggies that are not their usual color, like yellow carrots. Those purple beans are handsome, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Liz, I'm glad I sound the way you thought I would.

Back in the grove, hmm, maybe I'll go dance in a local forest once we have the first freeze and the mosquitoes are gone.

Sheila, I love fall, too.