Monday, December 26, 2011

On the 2nd Day of Christmas . . .

by Julia Buckley

Christmas is a wonderful and a beautiful time, but the day after Christmas is a restful escape. No packages to wrap, no items to remember to pack into the car, no stressing over the present that didn't arrive in time.

Today is a matter of quiet sorting through the rubble, permeated by gratitude for the gifts found within it. It's a day of remembering all of the funny things people said yesterday at the big family gathering, but also a day of facing the scale and promising to be good from here on in.

It's a day for reading the books you received as gifts, or watching those DVDs that someone thoughtfully selected.

Here the weather is mild and sunny, and we have more sunshine in our house--gifts and food and good feelings--to last for quite a while.

The thank-you card writing has begun, and I instructed my younger son that he could not even start on his Medieval Village made of Legos (possibly an all-break project) until he thought about the people who gave him things and jotted down his thank-yous in cards. I hope this art of thankfulness will not leave them when they leave home--it's such an important thing.

I'm writing my cards, too, and realizing that even this is a pleasurable part of my break--because in reflecting on what I appreciate about people, I rediscover gifts I had taken for granted.

I hope you're all enjoying the 2nd day of Christmas in your own ways.


Happy Boxing Day to all!

No comments: