Monday, March 28, 2011

A Japanese Girl Speaks

by Julia Buckley

Last year we had a foreign exchange student at my school named Maki Kishimoto. She was from Kanagawa, Japan.

We keep in touch with Maki via Facebook and her website, and she has had a lot to tell us about the Japan disaster.

Here, she translates a blog from a girl who lives in Fukushima Prefecture, where they are still reeling not just from the quake and tsunami, but from the growing dangers of radiation poisoning.

Her words are more poignant than mine could be:

Hi.

I am a high schooler, lives in Fukushima.
As you know, my town is a horrible after the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant.
Everyone lost their family, friends, and home.


But we are trying to live, for those who are died.


And everyone says,
"This is not the worst."

I'm sure, some of you guys are not sure what you can do for us.
Me too.

We had a thousands of sad news,
but i am not giving up, yet.

We are going to have a life again
In the same town
With the same smile,
With everyone.

This is my only wish.


I believe,
those who are missing is coming back.

So you guys,
I know something will change if you all would pray.
I really really believe this.
The important thing is not the donation
But it is in your heart.

So please pray for us.

We are waiting here.


Maki writes about this at Voice to Japan on Facebook (look under Events, if you're seeking the page) and invites anyone to visit and express their support; she in turn will translate it for her Japanese readers.

BBC photo link here.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

Julia, I was moved by this high school student's voice and tried to find the web page but could not. If you could track down a link, I'm sure many of PDD's readers would like to respond individually.

Julia Buckley said...

Sorry, it's actually Voice TO Japan, and the link is here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140661926001545

lil Gluckstern said...

So moving and so upsetting. The grace of the people is amazing. Wish I could do more.

Julia Buckley said...

I agree, Lil. I read another blog in which the young woman said "I am glad that I was born Japanese." She is finding her patriotism and her dignity in her suffering.