Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer

Sharon Wildwind

Let me tell you what kind of a week it has been.

Last weekend I went to the Calgary Folk Festival and took pictures of . . .

the backs of people’s head, and of that small woman, center photo, partially hidden by a microphone. In case a name doesn’t immediately spring to mind, that Buffy St. Marie, 70-years old and still belting out political songs in a voice that rings the rafters. Assuming that a tent has rafters to ring.

Today I went to the zoo and took pictures of . . .

Butterflies? Well, it was safer than standing around the tiger enclosure, which had a sign on the fence that said tigers mark their territory by spraying, and that they could spray up to 2 meters (6 1/2 feet). The sign suggested that if a tiger turned its back toward you, you should step away from the fence. I moved along quickly toward the butterfly house.

Afterwards I went to the Fringe Festival, which is 10-days chock-a-block full of avant-garde plays, and took pictures of . . .

a paper-mache mask in the Mexican restaurant where I had lunch.

Can you tell I’m having trouble focusing?

I think I’ve reached my annual summer melt down. I can’t think of one thing to blog about writing. Not one. The most helpful writing thing I did in the last week was to spend a morning trolling the Internet in search of photos of why my new characters might look like. Got something that would do for all of them, except two middle-aged, gray-haired women.

Then today a link to a wonderful site fell into my lap. So this week, instead of a quote, I’m sharing the link for Silver: A State of Mind. Wonderful faces of older women. Faces that would make superb characters. Enjoy those photos and I’ll try to cool off, refocus, and come up with something about writing for next week.

5 comments:

Sheila Connolly said...

But you're having fun! Don't apologize.

When I was young, my grandmother lived in New York City, and when we visited her we often ended up at the zoo, either the Bronx Zoo or the Central Park Zoo (in walking distance). I certainly remember how pungent the big cat house was--but nobody ever warned us about the spraying thing.

Sandra Parshall said...

I've found that a temperature of 102 and a heat index of 117 outside does wonders for my concentration here in my cool study. :-)

The English Teacher said...

And now I'll be humming Nat King Cole songs all day......

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

Wonderful photos of older women, Sharon--though I didn't think the 50s and 60s vintages were so old and was relieved when my cohort, born in the 40s, started showing up along with three women from the 30s. All beautiful with their lived-in faces--and many of them are writers. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am having fun.

Sandra, 102 where you live? My sympathies.

Liz, those are wonderful faces, aren't they. I think the photographer was focusing on silver hair color at any age rather than suggesting that 50's and 60's vintage were old.