Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Son of the Monday Mystery Quiz

By Julia Buckley
As a continuation of last week's mystery quiz, here are some more questions to test your mystery mettle. Last week's champion: Lori Lake. (This week's answers to be posted later if people don't identify them).

1. Which English chief inspector was often accompanied in his office by an extremely intelligent (and elusive) cat named Cyril?

2. In which Sue Grafton novel did Kinsey develop a relationship with Robert Dietz, the tough bodyguard?

3. What was the pseudonym of writer and critic William Anthony Parker White?

4. What noted science fiction writer published his first detective novel at the age of sixty-five? (In 1985)

5. Who created the character of Professor Kate Fansler?

6. This award winning author of Glitz was quoted as saying of his writing, "I try to leave out the parts that people skip."

7. What was the shared pseudonym of the two cousins Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee (both born in 1905)?

8. What award-winning English mystery writer also uses the name Barbara Vine?

9. Who wrote "Rear Window?"

10. Dorothy Gilman is famous for the creation of what beloved fictional character?

9 comments:

Bill Cameron said...

Sadly, off the top of my head, I know the answer to only one of these questions. I know if I think about it a bit, at least two more answer may come to me. I feel pretty sure they are hiding down in the nether portions of my brain somewhere. I think. But the rest of them, um. Uh.

I got nothing.

Does that make me a bad person? Or just poorly read?

Julia Buckley said...

It makes you both.

No, just kidding, Bill. I think you know more of these than you are giving yourself credit for. But which is the one you know?

Anonymous said...

O.K. - let me give this a try.
#1 - Racer.
#2 - ??
#3 - Anthony Boucher
#4 - ??
#5 - Amanda Cross
#6 - Elmore Leonard
#7 - ??
#8 - Ruth Rendell
#9 - Mrs. Polifax
How'd I do??!!
You are bad. You're going to turn me into a blog reader and participant yet. WHEN am I going to have time to clean my house??!!
Hugs to all the Daughters of Poe!

Julia Buckley said...

Great job, Kaye! All six of your answers are correct. (Number one refers to Martha Grimes' character of Superintendent Racer, the boss of detective Richard Jury. Both of them had interactions with Cyril, but only Jury liked the cat). :)

Anyone want to try for the remaining questions?

Anonymous said...

no.4 Isaac Asimov ? But don't know the title.

Julia Buckley said...

Bernd, you are very close (I think) with that guess--the answer is Ray Bradbury, and he wrote A LONELY PLACE TO DIE in 1985.

Thanks for playing!

Julia Buckley said...

Okay--only two questions left: any takers?

Julia Buckley said...

Okay, no takers. The last two are

#2: G is for Gumshoe and

#7: Ellery Queen

Lonnie Cruse said...

Like Bill Cameron, I got nothing. Sigh. I'm woefully under-read. Gotta correct that. Great job, Julia.